Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Mother's Love

A valuable skill I learned from my mom is the power of unconditional love, a mother's love. She exemplified the true meaning of love and wasn't stingy with her affection. She dispersed it to everyone she knew: her friends, siblings, family members, children and most especially to her grandchildren. Now that I am mom, I strive to be as loving and affectionate as she modeled it. I have much to improve but always keep in mind all her comforting words of encouragement as they echo in my heart. She is always in my thoughts and there isn't a day that goes by in which I don't appreciate and remember her love.
Well, why shouldn't mothers be appreciated and celebrated daily or at least more than one day a year? Let's all take cue from other cultures who celebrate their mothers on the traditional American Mother's Day and then again on Mother's Day from their respective countries.
Thanks to my friend Johanna, who I have reconnected with through the wonderful and exciting world of Facebook, I was reminded that all it takes is a simple gesture to show our love and appreciation to the mothers in our lives. Johanna's life has taken her on a venture and is now living out of the country, yet she demonstrates her love and affection through flowers. That's where I come in! I delivered a bouquet for Johanna's mom on May 10th and more bouquets on May 30th (Nicaragua's Mother's Day) to her aunts. Having a personal relationship with Johanna, I am able to message her with a picture of the flowers I delivered and a synopsis of the reactions of the recipient. Johanna is miles away, yet she gets the whole rundown; the hot pink flowers matched her mom's hot pink blouse, her cousin thought I was a peddler and was sending me away, her dad was looking on as I delivered to her aunt across the street and then we had a nice conversation. Johanna feels like she is back home in Los Angeles and I feel like I'm part of her family (cheesy right?). I am thrilled to know that flowers and the work that I passionately create have the power to do so much. Most rewarding, Johanna made me an honorary "Nica." I am most definitely HONORED!

No comments: